Sunday, April 12, 2015

Tribute to those who inspired

John Allen(RIP) argumentatively the master Jedi of all train layouts, was my inspiration to become more ( much more)within the hobby.
He is most likely responsible for many of the innovations and progression within the hobby that we take for granted. He had long since passed before I even had my first train set, I remember gazing at that old 1981 model railroader that featured his layout on the cover. I still have that original December copy I purchased with money I made mowing lawns for $1.75
I still have that now clear tape bound battered magazine. It came exactly a year after my Silver Streak tyco set that was given to me the prior Christmas 1980.
Fortunately, I was able to purchase a pristine copy of that old magazine a year ago or so.
Now interestingly, I was 12 years old when I started playing with trains, but I had a fascination with my Grandfathers N scale layout he had set up in a room at his mobile trailer.
He passed away about 4 years ago and I received a box full of all that N scale from the 80's Atlas and a couple minitrix items.
Now outfitted with mtl couplers these inherited items pay tribute to him on the Shasta line.....
More nostalgia, thoughts and controversy will be forthcoming on the ModelTrainFanatics blog... 
But for now, and to those who don't know, here is the legendary John Allen.

No comments: