Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Roundy rounds...?

The first time I have heard the phrase Roundy rounds was January of this year. I chalked it off as some weird Australian lingo from down under, since the bloke who shared it was indeed ausie at the core. 
The term basically describes a boring circle of track within the model railroading community. Whatever you want to label it, the fact is, a train chasing its tail in a circle is just that-boring and unrealistic.
Many quit the hobby early if that is all they can muster together. And it seems for many, a bigger circle just delays the boring a bit longer.  Thank god for the brilliant guy who designed the twisted doggone and reverse loops. Those two features will give the illusion and operation that extra kick needed that keeps the viewer entertained..
And it is true- many personalities can be happy with point to point operational duties on a switching yard.
For me though, I will stick with my elaborate Roundy round layout. Why? Sometimes I like to just turn them on and just watch the trouble free meandering through the fantasy world I make up in my head...so what they say is true, the book is better than the movie, and the mind can't posdibly be contained in a book. 
PDR 

No comments: