Friday, April 10, 2015

Model train memories...

"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it"...(so goes the saying)
I am not sure when or where, the first time I heard the phrase, but it had some impact in my thought process for certain.
Nostalgia- I have an obsession with it ,way more than I care to admit. Perhaps getting older does bring a yearning for the  "good ole days" or  better times..
Whatever it is,that draws me to historic photographs and such drives the way I model trains, as well as other things. But, this blog is about the trains, so we will stick with that for now.



So now we have the foundation for this rant about nostalgia and model railroading. Look,.. I do not know what got you into the hobby, and it does not matter. But for a large segment of model RR's it had something to do with getting their first train set as a kid. This is not new news by any means, but it is a large current that many have either kept plugged in or unplugged all together.( Even those in the hobby can be slightly unplugged)  What I mean by unplugged is that they have moved on from their humble beginnings. They model the "new" stuff or current railroads. Personally, I don't model anything after the that 70's... The reason being is that all the big boys bought and merged all the other railways and changed the face of railroads essentially forever.
I don't care if someone enjoys it or models it for their own, but I just don't care about it at all.  It isn't like they passed on the baton to a new generation or anything. It is that,the new stuff is just so....common, boring, and and and.... wake me up when the crossing signal finally lifts pass the 100 car inconvenience that makes me late for another appointment. I guess I tie the modern to all the other boos that modern has brought with it. Much like real life ...
 These boys grow up to be these boys... and it is a most wonderful thing... Bigger boys with more toys..


I have even found myself walking past the modern layouts at train shows more often. I love how they try to put a mile long train on a 3  mile scale track and label real to it..( another modern peace)..It is just not for me, thats all.
Give me the fallen flags of youth that made the railroad what it is today. The great names that actually designed and carved out the routes that these modern behemoths take for granted. That is the real deal my fanatical friends, that is the real deal.. That is what you will hear me beat the drum over and over about.
Now since nostalgia is about history it would be a tragedy to try and summarize the whole thing up in this one post... Now you don't expect a wrap at this point now do you? So stick around for nostalgia rant part 2... I am sure that there will be more accostment forth coming regarding the topic. If you have followed my "train" of thought here about people in the hobby vs. the life style, I believe you might stick around to hear more... Much more.




No comments: