Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Kato Track Review N scale



Not so much of a review but an observation. So now that you have gone this far indulge me a little bit. Many moons ago in college..1987 to be exact , I was taking art classes, with some loft notion or idea of becoming an undiscovered world famous artist, only to discover that the most famous ones usually died penniless or were poverty stricken their whole lives and became known after their deaths.. That disappointment obviously redirected my career a bunch and put the kibosh on my what was then two dimensional talents. All that to say this... If it wasn't for my discovery of Kato track around 1993 I would have never continued the N scale hobby in a layout form. N scale needs perfect track to run smooth. Now- before offending those modeling purists who "Atlasize" ,"Peco ize" or hand fab track on their own layouts... let me first say I admire and respect anyone who can make those brands run flawlessly. My hats off to you really- you are micro engineers of greatest caliber.
Just don't get bent out of shape about people who will die on the hill of Kato track. There is great reason to love it, almost Instant gratification being one of them. There is nothing worse than poor running trains. KATO saved the N scale marriage for me, and I am sure it has impacted others in their own way with similar results. The fact that many have experienced the same and coupled with my personal experience with other brands, (I believe) afford me at least a strong verified opinion and position towards KATO.
Now recently I have taken some flack about my "pontification" of KATO track. (look that up on google) I don't believe that what I am expressing is dogmatic in any way at all. It is just my personal experience with it. I could care less if you want to utilize other manufactures. Dogma requires that you think and be like me, and we don't need another me for sure. Besides it is one way not the only way and this isn't the church of KATO and the doctrine of such if any allows for all shapes, sizes and personalities no matter how slanted.
And a word to the purist,,,, The toy like opinions, the unrealistic this that and the other comments you really should tuck it away, because you really are not that smart. You chant and beat the drum of hand laid track or peco or atlas and yet you have the following, glaring, unrealistic things among your own. How about those throws that look so great? Yeah they look good, but the throw arms would be 10-12' tall to scale of a person who had to throw them for the switch?? But I digress, and as I said before, they are fine and kudos to you on your track choices, just dont diss my love for KATO...
Happy times... Now go impress me.














No comments: