Friday, March 27, 2015

Bachman trains- One man's garbage is another's treasure..?

I am compelled to write sometimes about certain experiences. This one has to do with a personal Bachman experience. Now, I have relationships with hundreds of manufactures from importing and and retail and direct sales over the last 30 years and seen just about everything.  Some are way better than others at handling consumer issues,supply chain problems or quality control. But all of them really want to make people happy at the end of the day, or at least it seems in my perfect world bubble I live in, in my head.
Now, with all that preface, I write about the other man's treasure from Bachman.
Before I buy any new engine or older one that I have no experience on, I look at the Spookshow website with all the ratings that have been done on them for a good base line with which I make my decision. Bachman released in 2014 a neat little NW2 Switcher sporting the GN fallen colors I love. I wanted it, however from my past unlucky experience with Bachman put the brakes on the purchase. I have had around 16-20 different engines in N scale that just ended up on the chopping block after just a little while of running or lack thereof. (disclosure: I own exactly two bach engines at the moment of this writing. one steam one NW2 now) Their main issue has been their electrical pick up tabs from the wheels- for some reason they just don't hold up, They either make spotty contact, corrode, bend out of shape or ...? who knows what, they just make the engines run erratic. And it is not a question of if but when it happens. Most serious modelers will micro engineer finely knit wire strands with pin point lazer soldering skills and .......NOT ME!   When I buy something I don't want to have to go that far to modify it to work at the prices they charge today.
So being the experienced skeptic that I am, I make a toll free phone call to the tech department at Bachman. I finally get through the gate keeper and talk to a tech who informs me to not run the DC/DCC lenz decoder models on basically what amounted to every DC power pack ever made.... NICE INFO! He informed me that old SINE or PULSE packs(older technology) will fry the circuit board.   Then he informs me that the Bachman DC packs will run it, just dont turn them up full throttle.....?  WTH?  REALLY?    I was thinking, wouldn't this be good to know before buying? And shouldn't you at least print that in the paperwork that comes with the loco?   The REP says that is a great idea, we get most of our returns and warranty work from people running these on DC....
YEAH DUH!   YOU THINK
Anyways, what a response to an easy fix.... He also mentioned that most people already know that if they are on the forums....? Now I am the idiot...?
Needless to say, I did not burn out my engines mother board, but it does sit in my display unit as a shelf queen for now. Until I totally transition the layout ow in progress...
Now there is a rant for the day.


NW2 Bachman DCC/DC N scale engine review



I will mention that, due to modelers like me, there is a great influx of good used Bachman engines on the second hand market. If this is what makes it affordable for some then I contributed to the hobby with best intent and practices.. The cost vs value isnt there for me overall, so I would sell the engines. It may be sub par for me but treasure for others...



Contacting Service

Before returning your product for repair, please fill in the repair request form: Repair Request
(Registering your product returns online ensures faster repair process and emailed notifications of the process)

Repair inquiries, or general inquiries may also be sent to:

Bachmann Customer Service
1400 East Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19124

Bachmann's Service Department is available Monday through Friday from 9 am to 4 pm (All Times Eastern). Customer Service for all scales can be reached toll free by US and Canadian customers at 800-356-3910 or Fax at 215-554-6734. Customers from all other countries should call [Exit Code]-1-215-533-1600.Please be aware that due to the quantity of calls we receive each day, you may need to leave a message on our voice mail system. Your call will be returned as soon as a service technician is available. We thank you in advance for your patience.
  • Parts: Ext. 328 or 329
  • Technical Support HO, N, On30 Scales: Ext.336 or 337
  • Technical Support Large Scale: Ext.334 or 335
  • Technical Support Williams O Scale: Ext. 335
  • Repair Status: Ext. 331
  • Managers: Customer Service: Ext.304 - Parts: Ext. 330

No comments: